An Officar and a Gentleman was the 15th episode of Season 2 of Roseanne, also the 38th overall series episode. Written by Danny Jacobson and Norma Safford Vela, the episode was directed by John Pasquin. It originally aired on ABC-TV on January 23, 1990.
While Roseanne heads to visit her parents once again in Moline, Jackie steps in as substitute mom and dazzles Dan with her housekeeping skills. Jackie is surprised to learn how Dan really thinks of her and that he remembers the first time they met.
- At the end of the episode, Roseanne comes home from seeing her parents in Moline where she tells Jackie she got her haircut and we see her with the new haircut. If you go back, at the beginning of this episode as Roseanne is getting ready to leave to see her parents she's all dressed to go outside in the cold with coat, and a hat dressed to secretly cover up her hair. She has the new haircut at the beginning of the episode. On the DVD version the first scene shows Roseanne and Jackie walking into the house and looking into a mirror and Roseanne complaining that she spent $12.00 for this haircut that she hates. In syndication this scene appears at the beginning of "The Little Sister".
- "An Officer and a Gentleman" is John Goodman's favorite episode of Roseanne. He likes it because it dealt with something never really talked about; the "almost" attraction between Dan (John Goodman) and Jackie (Laurie Metcalf). He finds Laurie to be an amazing actress and had fun playing off her in this episode.
- Dan (when he begins to help Jackie with washing the dishes): I've never washed dishes with another woman before.
- Jackie: How does it feel?
- Dan: Cheap.
- Dan (to Jackie): What are you doing here?
- Jackie: Playing housewife.
- Dan I don't think this room has ever been used for that before.
- Jackie (while on the phone to Roseanne): No, Becky just left, but I promise I'll call her that when she gets back.
- Roseanne (as she tells Jackie about what needs to be done while she's gone; holding the fridge door open): There's stuff in here for breakfast and there'sstuff in here for making the lunch.
- Jackie: So basically, the food is in the refrigerator.
- Crystal (while asking Jackie about her dad's condition): Is he in a lot of pain?
- Jackie: Well, he's with my mother and my sister.
|Roseanne: Season Two|
|Season Episode Guides|