Darlene Fades to Black was the fourth episode of Season 4 of Roseanne, also the 76th overall series episode. Written by Jeff Abugov, the episode was directed by Andrew D. Weyman. It originally aired on ABC-TV on October 8, 1991.
Darlene slips into a depressive state, wanting to only wear black, watch TV and be left alone which concerns Roseanne & Dan. Meanwhile, Dan gets a moped as a trade-in at the bike shop, and Becky has her sights set on having it. Dan and Roseanne have something different in mind.
- Darlene is now a vegetarian.
- Roseanne: What are you going to do this weekend?
- Darlene: Nothing.
- Roseanne: But that's what you did last weekend.
- Darlene: Yeah, well, I'm not finished.
- but hey, who needs a future?
- Roseanne (to Darlene): At least when you had basketball...
- Darlene: Again with basketball. (gets up to leave)
- Roseanne: Get back here, I'm not telling you to play basketball, I think it's the stupidest sport in the world and I spent all 4 years of high school pretending I had cramps so I didn't have to play.
- Becky (to Roseanne): I'm sorry you had to have that fight with Dad.
- Roseanne: It's all right. I won.
- Becky: Great, so I should probably wait a couple of days to get the scooter, you know, let it sink in.
- Roseanne: You're not getting the bike.
- Becky: Why not?
- Roseanne: Because it's dangerous!
- Becky: Oh, yeah, right for a girl. If DJ was 17, you'd let him have it, right?
- Roseanne: No, I wouldn't, but I'd let Darlene, so figure that one out.
- DJ: What am I?
- Roseanne: We don't know yet.