| Season 3: Episode 16|
(63 / 231 episodes)
|Air date||February 5, 1991|
|Written by||Mark Lloyd Rappaport|
|Directed by||John Whitesell|
Home-Ec was the 16th episode of Season 3 of Roseanne, also the 63rd overall series episode. Written by Mark Lloyd Rappaport, the episode was directed by John Whitesell. It originally aired on ABC-TV on February 5, 1991.
Darlene is embarrassed when Roseanne gives Darlene's home economics class a supermarket lesson in real-life family budgeting. Meanwhile DJ has to deal with a bully.
- During the Buy 'n Bag field trip, Merrill (one of the Home Economics students) selects a brand name cereal, but Roseanne opposes. She tells the class that she only buys generic, but Merrill puts the brand name cereal into the cart anyway instead of putting it back on the shelf. Later, in the grocery store check-out line, the generic cereal appears on the conveyor belt and the brand name cereal is no longer in the cart.
- Roseanne and the Home Economics students wait in the check-out line at the Buy 'n Bag. When the customer in front of them pays for his items, the cashier drops the money on the counter instead of putting it in the cash register.
- Leonardo Dicaprio appears as an extra in the scene in Darlene's home ec classroom.
- DJ: I made him give me two Twinkies. I give one Twinkie to my bodyguard and I eat the other one, so it doesn't cost you anything.
- Roseanne: You really are a genius!
- Dan (to the father of a kid who was picking on DJ): Whoa, settle down or I'll give my wife a donut to kick your butt.
- Merrill: I don't see why I have to spend my time cooking this food for this family. (the class agrees)
- Roseanne: You're starting to sound like a housewife, I'm so proud.
- Suzy (to Roseanne about the meatloaf): How long do we cook it?
- Roseanne: 'Til the oldest kid comes down and whines, "Oh God, not meatloaf again!"
- Becky: Oh God, not meatloaf again!
- Roseanne: It's ready!
- Roseanne: That's brand name, Meryl, bon appetite. We buy generic, only second best for my family.
- Darlene: No, I eat the brand name cereal.
- Roseanne: No, actually it's the brand name box, I've just been buying the generic cereal and refilling the box since 1985.
- Darlene: You mean I've been eating generic Frankenberries?
- Roseanne: I'm sorry you had to find out this way.
- Jackie: Roseanne, can I alk-tay with ou-yay in ivate-pray?
- Roseanne: Ok-ay dok-ay
- Dan (making a face): Duuuh, I don't understand what they're talking about, do you?