Brain-Dead Poets Society was the 12th episode of Season 2 of Roseanne, also the 35th overall series episode. Written by Norma Safford Vela, the episode was directed by John Pasquin. It originally aired on ABC-TV on December 12, 1989.
Becky is tired of being treated like a child and Roseanne feels the need to intervene.
- If you listen carefully to Roseanne's voice, she is suffering from a bad cold in this episode.
- Becky: Can I have my allowance?
- Dan: It's an honor to have you on the payroll.
- Becky: Hey, I don't wanna hear it.
- Dan: Hey! You apologize your mother.
- Becky (after hearing she is grounded for another week): You're being totally unfair just because I don't want to eat your stinkin' beans!
- Roseanne: Wrong, I'm being totally unfair because that is my job!
- DJ (to Roseanne): Mom, you got any milk?
- Roseanne: Not any more, but there's some in the fridge.
- Dan: Nice, Elsie.
- Becky: No one could eat this crud.
- Dan: Hey, if you don't finish your crud, you're not gonna get any crap for dessert!
- Dan (to Roseanne about Becky): She's just trying to get a rise out of you.
- Roseanne: She's been trying to get a rise out of me for the last month.
- Dan: What're you talking about?
- Roseanne: Where've you been, Dan? She comes home from school, yells at me and locks herself in her room. The only time she comes out is to either yak on the phone or give me grief.
- Dan: Well, Great Scot, she's acting like a 14-year-old.
- [Becky isn't talking to Roseanne and Roseanne isn't talking to Dan]
- D.J.: What's going on?
- Becky: Got me.
- D.J.: Mom, what's going on?
- Roseanne: We're playing a game.
- D.J.: Can I play?
- Dan: No, you're too mature to play this game.
- [A few words are spoken around the dinner table due to all the tension]
- Becky (to Dan about Roseanne): You always back into her. Everybody does. But I'm not gonna let her, she can't control me.
- Roseanne (about Becky's attitude): Oh, yes, I can. I am your mother and I will control you till the day you die.
- Becky (screaming): I wasn't talking to you!
- Roseanne (screaming back): Oh, yes, you were, just then, you were talking to me, wasn't she, Dan!
- Dan (caught off guard): You're talking to me?
- Roseanne (to Jackie): With Mom, nothing was ever secret.
- Jackie: She... she use to force her way in, steal information, and use it against us.
- Roseanne: Beverly-gate.