| Season 3, Episode 24|
Number (#71) in series (222 episodes)
|Air date||May 7, 1991|
|Written by||Bob Myer & Chuck Lorre|
|Directed by||Gail Mancuso|
Dances With Darlene
The Pied Piper of Lanford
Scenes from a Barbecue was the 24th episode of Season 3 of Roseanne, also the 71st overall series episode. Written by Bob Myer and Chuck Lorre, the episode was directed by Gail Mancuso. It originally aired on ABC-TV on May 7, 1991.
Roseanne's feisty grandmother, Nana Mary, visits the Connors on Mother's Day for a family barbecue. At the end of the day, Roseanne and Jackie are reminded how similar their relationship with their own mother is to the one she shares with Nana Mary.
- In this episode, Shelley Winters joins the cast as Roseanne's grandmother. She is only seven years older than Estelle Parsons (who portrays Roseanne's mother).
- In syndication, the editing in this episode had lots of noticable quirks. For example, the sound is a bit off in the episode's intro, as well as several other places in the episode. Right before the title sequence shows, for example, the sound cuts out very suddenly.
- Nana Mary talks to Beverly on the phone and tortures her by suggesting that her husband might be having an affair. In the episode "Thanksgiving '91," we learn that he really is.
- Nana Mary was named after Roseanne's real life grandmother Mary.
- This episode was filmed before the previous episode "Dances with Darlene." This is very obvious because if you look at Lecy Goranson's hair, it was short in the last episode while being long in this one.
- Nana Mary: I have to go right now.
- Jackie: "Sex Talk Radio" is on in five minutes.
- Nana Mary: If I don't call, they worry.
- Crystal: I read that you should talk to the baby in the womb so he can get used to your voice and he can even understand a little.
- Roseanne (leaning toward Crystal's belly): Hey baby, back off the buffet!
- Becky: What's all the fuss about Mother's Day? I don't remember us getting like a Kid's Day.
- Dan: Someday, my precious angel, you too will be a parent, and then you will realize that every day is Kid's Day.
- Crystal: Can I bring anything out to the table? Chips or dip or something?
- Roseanne: I don't want you to bring anything out to the table, Crystal.
- Crystal: Now, Roseanne, just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I can't pitch in.
- Roseanne: Crystal, it's because you eat everything before you get it out there!