| Season 1: Episode 18|
(18 / 231 episodes)
|Air date||March 7, 1989|
|Written by||Lauren Eve Anderson & David McFadzean|
|Directed by||John Sgueglia|
Slice of Life was the 18th episode of Season 1 of Roseanne, also the 18th overall series episode. Directed by John Sgueglia and co-written by Lauren Eve Anderson and David McFadzean, it first aired on ABC-TV on March 7, 1989.
Becky is getting ready for a big slumber party, and Darlene is getting ready to pitch the big game. Darlene is extremely moody, and argues with Roseanne before slamming out of the house. After Roseanne gets a phone call that Darlene is under going emergency surgery, she becomes wrecked with guilt over the morning's fight.
- Darlene Conner was 11 years old in this episode, but Sara Gilbert was actually 14 years old.
- Jackie: Roseanne, yelling at Darlene, it's like breathing! It's just an involuntary response!
- Roseanne: I just asked one question and nobody can answer me. I asked, what's going on with my kid? That's not a stupid question, that's a question any person has a right to know. What's happening to my kid?
- Dr. Bryce: Mr. and Mrs. Connor, Darlene's just out of surgery.
- Roseanne: Is she all right?
- Dr. Bryce: She's fine.
- Roseanne: Then what am I yelling about?
- Roseanne: Darlene, when are you gonna stop being such a smart mouth?
- Darlene: Mmm, three weeks from next Tuesday.
- Roseanne (while filling out hospital forms): I can't believe it, my kid's getting prepped for surgery and I'm here taking my SAT's.
- (After Darlene wakes up from her appendectomy)
- Dan: Does it hurt?
- Darlene (sleepily): I can't really feel anything.
- Roseanne: Can you feel this? (kisses Darlene's forehead)