| Season 8, Episode 19|
Number (#192) in series (222 episodes)
|Air date||March 2, 1996|
|Written by||Garland Testa and David Forbes|
|Directed by||Mark K. Samuels|
Disney World War II
Another Mouth to Shut Up
Springtime for David was the 19th episode of Season 8 of Roseanne, also the 192nd overall series episode. It was written by Garland Testa and David Forbes and was directed by Mark K. Samuels. It originally aired on ABC-TV on March 2, 1996.
David moves out when he gets a job at a strange local theme park. Soon, David is transformed into "Hans the Hare", a hyperactive and perky park employee. Roseanne steps into action in order to get the real David back.
After strict orders from Dan, David finally moves out and works at a not-well-known theme park in Lanford, where he's transformed into an eerily smiling automaton. The episode's name is a reference to Springtime for Hitler. The episode itself was a satire of the Walt Disney Company, who, after having recently acquired the American Broadcasting Company, had made the network's shows (including Roseanne) film and air Disney-themed episodes, including the immediately preceding episodes "We're Going to Disney World" and "Disney World War II".
- In another bit of potential foreshadowing, Roseanne jokingly suggest that next year, Dan's life insurance policy gets cashed in to fund a cruise. Dan warns that this may not be a good idea, something that comes to fruition in "The Wedding", when Dan suffers a heart attack. Dan's warning further foreshadows the revelation within season nine's "Into That Good Night, Part 2" in which we learn Dan actually dies from his heart attack.
- Note: This is the second of three episodes which Sarah Chalke appears as Becky Conner-Healy during this season.
- Roseanne: You say these people are free, but are they? After they've worked, can they sit down, guzzle booze and talk trash about their boss like at any other American job? No they can't. Now, I am going to take David and we are going to get in my junkie car and drive along the polluted river where we're liable to get car jacked or run off the road by drunks. And take him back to our poor house in our white trash neighborhood and dash through the door as quick as we can before we get robbed. Now that is MY America and I thank God that I'm free to enjoy it!
- David (to Roseanne): Why are you trying to make me come home?
- Roseanne: Five words, David: You're dressed like a rabbit.