Sweet Dreams was the eighth episode of Season 2 of Roseanne, also the 31st overall series episode. Written by Danny Jacobson, the episode was directed by John Pasquin. It originally aired on ABC-TV on November 7, 1989.
Roseanne tries to get a few minutes of relaxation in the bathtub, but ends up getting constant interruptions from her family and a fantasy about two hunks.
- This is the first episode where we see the infamous chicken shirt. Becky is wearing the chicken shirt in the bathroom during the dream sequence and is the first person to be seen, on camera, wearing the shirt. Over the course of the show's run, the shirt is worn by various family members, mostly Roseanne. Roseanne Barr thought that the shirt was the ugliest shirt she had ever seen, but she thinks that something that people consider ugly in real life, when perceived on television they see it as art. Additionally, Tom Arnold hated the shirt and after their divorce, it has been said Roseanne tried to include the shirt in the show as much as possible. Roseanne would still be wearing it twenty-one years later in Season 10.
- It is revealed that Becky was born March 15, 1975.
- This is the first and only musical episode of the series
- Becky: Mom, are you through in the bathroom yet?
- Dan: Honey, I'm through in there.
- Darlene: Mom, I did my homework, but I still need you to sign here.
- D.J.: Mom, can you make me a sandwich?
- Roseanne (opens her eyes and sees her family): Oh no! You're alive!
- Roseanne: I love my children.
- Judge: Then why did you murder them!
- Roseanne: Your honor, all I wanted was 10 minutes alone in my own bathroom!
- Miss England (to Darlene): "Fred and me went to the movies." What's wrong with this sentence?
- Darlene: You're too ugly to get a date.
- Ms. England (to Darlene): What country comes between Russia and Afghanistan?
- Darlene: Detroit?